Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Let's celebrate by graduating!

Yes, Becky Castleton...otherwise known as Rebecca Castleton, BS in Public Health...finally did that one thing called graduating from college, April 24-25, 2008! It definitely took a unique amount of time :), but the time was exactly what I needed. A couple of years ago, I made the decision to change my major, yet another time, and further my undergraduate experience, jumping into the world of Public Health at BYU. There really is not another major I can image that suites me better. Studying health really made me excited, caused me to reflect on my own personal health practices, and educated me in the basics of so many subjects that I completely love and feel passionately about...for example: women's health, chronic disease, infectious disease, reproductive health, international health, sexuality education, mind and body health, and various methods to plan and implement health change.

The professors I was able to learn from gave me an invaluable education in more than their lessons and lectures. I owe each of then an incredible dept and will endever to follow their examples in a number of ways. The friends I gained from my studies in Public Health remain as great examples, friends I respect a great deal, and people I know I can turn to for a variety of reasons.

My parents supported me through all of this, encouraging me as my path continued to turn this way and that. I still remember mom's words the day I called to consult with her and pops about changing my major one more time. She said, "sometimes you have to make several turns until you find the right path, the one you were looking for. You wouldn't have found it without taking all those previous turns." I thank my family and close friends for all their help getting me to the spot I am at today - it truly has been a joint effort!

Thank you.

7 comments:

thack said...

Bex, You Rock. In fact we both rock :)

Meagan said...

Congrats, Becky! This is a huge accomplishment, and you should be very proud - no matter how many years it took :)

Holly and Matthew said...

BECKSTER... welcome aboard!! YAHOOO! I LOVE YOUR BLOG!! WAY TO GO GIRL! DO YOU HAVE MY BLOG LINK TOO? :) We can now be blog buddies! Love you :)

Anonymous said...

Hey Bex! I am excited you have joined the world of blogging. Also, coming from someone who took longer than average to graduate.... sometimes you just need a little extra time to find what's right. I'm so glad you found your path! Congratulations!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Maria Dance said...

Becky! Congratulations. I'm so happy for you. That is a huge accomplishment. And your blog is fantastic. My sister in law educated me on the courtesy of blogging and leaving *comments*. Hopefully i'll make a blog soon too! Love ya

Emmy said...

Becky!
Love the blog!
Hope you're loving Russia...
Yea for graduating!

Brenna Bee said...

Yea for graduating and yea for health science!! i wish I'd known so I could have been there!!